Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Anna Karenina Take II

I went back to the last performance that the Staatsoper was putting on of Anna Karenina this season and thought it was even better this time around. The soloists were Dagmar Kronberger (Anna), Eno Peci (Karenin), and Shane Wuerthner (Wronski), the same that were supposed to dance the premier except for Eno Peci's sudden illness.

Probably no small part in the increased appeal came from my improved seating. I was at orchestra level this time around rather than in the balcony like last time. Being eye-level with the dancers, I could really appreciate their synchronization and movement. I also found the final scene before Anna commits suicide much more powerful and really liked the blinding light as she jumps in front of the train; it wasn't the same seeing it all from above and I thought it was much more dramatic and eerie to have her disappear into the light rather than watching her fall through it. I still can't help but wonder, though: what do the conductor and orchestra think about the few parts where there is a soundtrack playing rather than the musicians? I imagine I would be slightly irked if I were them, but not being a musician I know I actually have nothing to support this opinion. The dancers as well, what do they think? This choreography is certainly more aggressive and physical than any of the classics; is dancing to a soundtrack more challenging, or is dancing just dancing, no matter the 'music'?

All in all it was a great night. Still, if the man in the third level, right, second box from the end never ever comes back to take seven pictures with his flash on during a performance again, I won't be upset.


Curtain Call: Wuerthner, Kronberger, and Peci

No comments:

Post a Comment