Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Barns, Bikes, Cold, and Cafés (and American Football)

As I said in my last post: life hasn't been all fun and cafés since I've been back in Austria. Although I have continued to scope out that scene. But taking things in order...

BARNS:
I dedicated to go barn shopping on Friday because, well, do I really need a 'because'? I need to get back on a horse, 'nough said. I started out at a tack shop I had seen hoping the people working there would know some of the local barns and be able to recommend or advise against some places. I got a few suggestions, but it was actually not really as fruitful as I had hoped. Nonetheless I set off to check out some of the barns I had been in contact with about coming out to look and potentially watch a lesson. I went to three places, of course all in opposite directions and out of the city a ways, but unfortunately I wasn't particularly taken with any of them. Two were only dressage - despite having pictures of people jumping on their website - and the other was a little too remote with pretty sparse facilities, albeit in a stunning little corner of the countryside at Schloss Schönborn (not to be confused with Schloss Schönbrunn - the Hapsburg's stupendous summer palace on the outskirts of Vienna). The early-18th century summer palace of Fredrich Graf von Schönborn is now a golf course, and a very picturesque one at that.



I've thought about it some more and perhaps I should give dressage a shot. After all, the Viennese aren't well known for their jumping in the horse world; this is dressage country. As such, the trainers here are bound to be good. There's one other barn I would like to visit that should have jumping and appears to have a lot of potential as far as trainer, horse, and barn quality, but if that doesn't pan out then I'm going to give the barn outside of Bisamberg a go.

BIKES:
I bought a bike yesterday!!!!


The Italian woman that I met at the Mountainbiker.at Oktoberfest, who also happens to be Joe's aunt, came along to help me get a deal. After discussing my options the three of us (Joe included) went out to get coffee while they built up my top choice, then I gave it a test ride through the rain when we got back. Love at first pedal stroke. Not to mention I'm really pleased with the deal that I got - Raffi must have made a good pitch for me (it was in German, so I just stood by and tried to look the part of the poor recent college graduate). I can't wait to take it for a real spin, but...

COLD:
It's cold!! The temperature plummeted 15ºC (that's almost 25ºF) on Friday and it's only supposed to get colder until, uh, April. Or at least it's supposed to stay cold until then. So much for my hope that these perfect autumn days would hold out for another few weeks. And it's not just the cold. Along with it came the rain which has shown few signs of letting up. Okay, so the cold isn't what's really keeping me from biking; my helmet, shoes, etc. are in transit from home right now, but the weather is less than ideal I will admit. But I actually don't mind too much because during the days I can always hunker down in...

CAFÉS:
Yes, I've remained diligent in the search. Thursday I spent the morning studying at Café Westend right off the Westbahnhof U-bahn stop.


Not a bad place, but lacking in my number one requirement for a café: internet. That, and the tables were itsy-bitsy. However, I happened along a bookstore, Buchhandlung Thrill and Chill, and popped in on a whim, looking for some books on tape (well, CD) for the kinder since it takes an hour to get to school every morning. I had been surprisingly unsuccessful in my attempts thus far and was also disheartened to discover that my favorite English bookstore had closed since the summer. Apparently they're moving to a yet-to-be-disclosed location (i.e. they don't know where they're going yet, or even if they'll be back in business). In this store I received the typical slightly-uncertain look when I asked for books on tape and was shown to a very small selection, but when I explained it was for kids the woman lit up and took me to another section and was really knowledgable about the various children's' stories, helping me choose a couple to try out. Success!


I returned to Café Sperl later that afternoon and am now armed with two more noteworthy comments on the establishment. First, the sink:


Not a comment, I know, but it speaks for itself. Second: it seems this used to be Hitler's favorite haunt. Hmmm.

I was supposed to go hiking with Joe on Sunday, but the rain thwarted those plans. I just stayed home and did some more work, but as early evening approached I needed a change of scenery so I went into town to continue work at a café. I first stopped at Café Prückel as it was on my list and open until 10:00 on Sundays, but it seemed every other person in Vienna had the same idea that I did. Long story short, determined not to be frustrated yet again I searched for an open café in vain for well over an hour, vehement against stepping into Starbucks. I was prepared to look off Café Mozart just across from the Albertina as well as it just sounded like a tourist trap, but when I saw a sticker for free wi-fi in the window I changed my mind. This was a major success. Not only is it open until midnight (probably because they do get a lot of tourists being in such a prominent location behind the Staatsoper), but the waiters were really pleasant, there was light piano music, I had a chocolate coffee that hit the spot, and the food was scrumptious; there was even (good!) guacamole on my open-faced sandwich.


I may reserve it from being my go-to place only because parking in the first district is just a nightmare, but I'll absolutely be returning.

I did get to try Café Prückel yesterday morning. It was okay, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it... perhaps only whelmed. Maybe I was overeager to go there as I had read that they had bridge tables reserved in the back and it was one of the traditional old cafés. I wanted to see if it would be acceptable for me to jump in on a bridge game sometime as I conveniently just took a bridge course at college this past spring (though I was admittedly apprehensive about the idea - I was a beginner in English, so trying to play bridge in German may have been one step too many). However I never saw the tables. Maybe it was too early in the morning?


The café was also interestingly divided into smoking and non-smoking sections by glass door, and by far the more appealing atmosphere of the two rooms was in the smoking section. But, obviously, it was smokey; I could feel it seeping into my pores (and clothes and hair) as I walked through the room. I'll probably go back as I'm still curious about this bridge playing, but not a top hit for me. At least they had good hot chocolate.

AMERICAN FOOTBALL:
I went to Champions in the Marriott on Saturday night to watch the Red River Shootout as rumor had it that was the only place that shows American football. I think that's all I need to say about that little event. Oh, and the TV next to the one showing the game was also showing some American football, except it was European teams. The Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns were playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment