Sunday, October 23, 2011

Riding

I must confess, it feels good to be back in the saddle. Although I would prefer a horse saddle, always, I got in my first real bike ride yesterday. Nothing too far as I quickly realized that I'm out of shape (not that I didn't already know this, but it was reinforced not long after I set off), but it was nice to get some fresh air and a little sun on a crisp afternoon. I stayed around the Bisamberg area, following one of the roads through the countryside which wound through quaint little towns and a lot of agricultural land, although most of the fields had recently been tilled so I couldn't tell what was grown in the region.


I totaled an unimpressive 20km and saw about ten other bikers out, almost all of them alone. I'd like to find someone to ride with, but all of the folks I saw were much more serious than I. Maybe when I get back in shape I'll be able to keep up with some of those guys... on their slow days. I asked around a couple of the LBS's, but none of them knew of any weekly group rides or anything of the sort. Joe was supposed to go with me yesterday, but he woke up sick. He'll be a good riding partner, though, as he's just getting into the sport. I just wish we didn't live half an hour apart; it would be much more convenient to role straight out the door rather than having to drive to/from our route. Plus not being in Vienna means no traffic to deal with, no Straßenbahn (tram) tracks to avoid, and no oblivious pedestrians to careen around. I was pleased that all of the cars* gave me a wide berth as well. I expected it knowing how many people bike here and having watched drivers going around cyclists, but it was still nice after being kept firmly to the shoulders when biking in California. I never saw anyone on the road, ever, when I rode in Texas, being out in the middle of nowhere and all, but I've heard of some less than affable encounters, so I wouldn't call it the most friendly of places to ride.

*Except for one charmer in a hot red Ferrari who felt the need to cruise on my tail for about twenty seconds before gunning it and ripping past me...

Also, speaking of Joe... he came out with me on Wednesday to check out the barn that I was really excited to visit, and it was everything I ever wanted it to be! Gut Reuhof is about 20 minutes from Bisamberg, it has amazing facilities including a show jumping stadium "in the required size for international competitions" plus a practice ring (which is the same size as the stadium), two indoor riding halls, one of which is suitable for competitions (and has stands), an outdoor dressage ring with a second training area, trails through the fields and woods with "rider-Heurigen"(the vineyards that have their own restaurants) where you can stop with your horse, round pens, a dirt galloping track, hot walkers, and large paddocks to turn out the horses. The horses themselves all looked well-kept and well-trained, and there are separate sections of the barns for jumpers, dressage, and... reining! They have reining there (and good looking reiners - the horses, not the riders, mind you)! Forget that reining barn I found out about in Vienna (which I still haven't gone out to visit), I can ask around and post a flyer here to see if anyone needs their horses worked out during the week. Whatever income I get from that could help subsidize the cost of taking jumping lessons. As I would expect of such a high-quality barn, lessons are unfortunately not cheap, though well worth it I can imagine. I talked to one of the coaches who was completely fluent in English and she booked me for a lesson. I have to be patient because there was a show this weekend, Lauren will be here next week, and I can't really ride during the week while I'm doing my German courses, so I still have to wait two more weeks before I get back on a horse, but oh my gosh I can't wait! This must be the place!

The "practice ring" behind the show jumping stadium

There's a show there in early November on a day I will conveniently have off work, so I'm going to watch that and get some more pictures. They offer beginner lessons as well, so I can take das Mädchen and her friend there to learn how to ride. I can't wait to get back in the saddle!

Oh, and did I mention that Joe made a new friend?


P.S. Did anyone catch my song reference in there?

No comments:

Post a Comment